Suzuki Talent Education Program
of St. John's, Newfoundland
This is the website of the Suzuki Talent Education Program in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Suzuki Talent Education is a music-education philosophy by which teachers and parents help children learn to play an instrument by the same method that they learn to speak their native language. In St. John's, we have about 100 violin, viola and cello students who follow the Suzuki curriculum; some also learn Newfoundland fiddling or perform in our award-winning orchestra. We host the Atlantic Canada Suzuki Institute every June. If you'd like to learn more about the Suzuki Method and our organization, please read the Background and FAQ pages; feel free to contact us with any questions.
Member families and local teachers: this site aims to be your primary reference to the goings-on of STEP. All schedules and reference material for the 2014/2015 year will be published here when available. Also check out the News (that you ought also to be getting by e-mail; if not, please let us know!), Classifieds for instruments and music-related items, and more. If you have news to share, questions, comments or suggestions about the webpage, send them on to your friendly neighbourhood volunteer webmaster Heather Patey.
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Welcome and welcome back to STEP, to all students and families!
Our registration for STEP violin and cello students, and for Twinkle Toes, is now open.
Two ways to register:
- Use our online forms!
- Download the forms and fill them out in your browser or PDF reader. (One Twinkle Toes form per child age 0-3; for violin or cello students, one Family Registration Form PER FAMILY and one Program Selection Form per child.
- Email them as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Print and mail them to the address on the Contact Us page.
Two ways to pay your fee:
- By cheque, sent via postal mail with a copy of your registration forms
- By PayPal; see the link on our online form page.
New families, please email us first so we can make sure you have all the information you need. Space still available for beginning violin and cello students aged 3 and up; and a few Twinkle Toes spaces (babies and toddlers 0-3), please inquire.
New Students Welcome at STEP
Do you have a young child in whom you'd like to instil a love of music, instrumental skills, increased focusing and listening abilities, ease with performing, and a lifelong foundation in cultural pursuits?
STEP has cultivated beautiful hearts and musical souls in children and families in St. John's for over 30 years. Parents work with their children from any age from 3 up to teenage, in both individual and group settings with our experienced, internationally-certified teachers. The violin or cello is taught by the same method the child learns to speak: through repetition, encouragement, small steps, and constantly building and reinforcing their skills. Our students learn to perform with confidence, both solo and in a group of their peers, and they become part of a musical community that will benefit them throughout their lives.
Our teachers have space right now for new students in either violin or cello, for ages 3 and up.
We encourage you to observe the teaching process before joining: our teachers would welcome you to their studio for a visit.
Please email our friendly staff, Josh and Heather, at email@example.com for information on our schedule, registration, private lessons and more. We'd be happy to answer your questions and set you up for fall registration.
New students welcome in Early Childhood Education program
STEP welcomes Early Childhood Education students from birth to age 3.
Group classes for our youngest students take place two Saturday mornings a month, at MUN School of Music. You can read more about the classes on our "Twinkle Toes" page.
Calendar and Schedule for 2014-15
Have a look at our latest Saturday time schedule (September 3rd). It may undergo some small changes, so make sure you have the latest version!
Here is the list of ALL our events for this year. All Solo Concerts are at 11:00am at MUN School of Music.
September 6th - In-person Registration
- September 27th - First Group Class
- October 4th - Group Class
- October 18th - Group Class
- October 25th - Group Class
- November 1st - Solo Concert
- November 8th - Graduation Concert
- November 15th - Group Class
- November 22nd - Solo Concert
- November 29th - Group Class
- December 6th - Christmas Play-In
- December 13th - Orchestra and Young Virtuosi Concert
- January 10th - Group Class
- January 17th - Solo Concert
- January 24th - Group Class
- January 31st - Solo Concert
- February 7th - Group Class
- February 14th - Solo Concert
- February 21st - Group Class
- February 28th - Solo Concert
- March 7th - Group Class
- March 14th - Solo Concert
- March 21st - Group Class
- March 28th - Group Class
- April 11th - Solo Concert
- April 18th - Group Class
- April 25th - Group Class
- May 2nd - Orchestra Concert
- May 3rd (Sunday) - Special Spring Concert
- May 9th - Group Class
- May 23rd - Group Class
- May 30th - Solo Concert
- June 6th - Final Group Class
- June 13th - Final Concert
- June 29th to July 3rd - Atlantic Canada Suzuki Institute (Summer Camp)
Use Outlook or iCal? Import the STEP Events calendar into your application!